Monday, March 19, 2007

Do we know what we want?

Don’t know if anyone else experiences this or I happen to be the ‘chosen’ odd one (seriously…I would love to have company…and being kind of ‘chosen’ for this strange feeling is spooky!!)
Anyways…here it goes..
Many times through…I’ve felt I don’t know what I want!
When I was a kid, there were times I wanted to go, learn swimming and then I thought it was kind of complicated and not really worth the effort..
A little older, I wanted to be an expert on circuits and electronics, I spent some effort too, but, then always had this thought at the back of my mind if I really liked doing it..
A little older, I thought I should study to be an Engineer, I did that too, but then there was a little thought somewhere which told me I would be better off studying History or English..
A little older, I wanted to be in the cut throat world of business always on the move, and then something told me to get into a more in-office job..
A little older, I wanted to balance work and kids, have been doing too, but, something tells me this is not my calling..need more time for family..

It's choices, choices all the way...some decisions taken are good and some bad. Whatever be the case, we take them and live with them. Many a times, the path taken kind of makes things monotonous and we change the way things are....and then there is again the excitement to make things work..

With time, I've come to realize that choosing between two paths has been the most complicated thing to do. Someone else decides for me and I will be happy to follow. So, does that mean I am a good follower and don't really want to lead...not really.
I think I find it far more easy and nice to have someone do the thinking especially when there are options!

If only, life were simpler and we didn't need to choose from so many options...I may be sounding strange...but, seriously..whether it's what to cook for lunch today, which colour would look good on the kids to things like what type of work is really my calling....CHOICES, OPTIONS leading DILEMMAs and the pain to 'choose'...

It brings me to the thought - Do we really know what we want? Whenever the mind makes a choice, it is a function of various parameters which the mind understand are the variables in this equation. Intelligent species that we are, we tend to run these equations in our minds all the time - to choose between a pizza or pasta OR to choose between doing an 'in' jobe or taking it easy.. And then, there are times when the logic seeking neurons in the mind are overrridden by the heart (is that the 4 chambers...ooops..I don't want to apply my grey cells here again..) and we still end up making a choice.

So, good or bad, through mind or heart, whether we like or not - we are making choices all the time, everytime...If only, we had to do less of that. ...given the ordeal the mind goes through everytime that happens..

Anyways..that's the way it is...and the choice we make stays with us. Only, let's not make our choices paths of no-return..such that we can change course and taken the other less treaded path...

Is'nt all this that makes life interesting and gives it meaning. Live by your choices and succeed, have the courage to change course when it's called for and just give in to your heart's voice sometimes..

Now this sounds very philosophical..I think.. I actually like the sound of it!
If only..we had less choices to make...

4 comments:

హరేఫల said...

Welcome to the World of Blogging

Harish Kumar said...

So, now that you have chosen to blog, please be more regular - than me, at least.

Taru said...

I echo all your sentiments, Renu :)

rvk said...

:)